The goal of iCan Bike is to teach individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two-wheel bicycle and become lifelong independent riders.
The iCan Bike After School Program (ASP) provides a unique service learning opportunity for volunteer student Spotters using “ability awareness” to teach communication and leadership skills in a weeklong hands-on program.
Benefits for Riders
• Increase in self-esteem and confidence spills over into many other aspects of their lives
• Positive changes in family dynamics
• Inclusion opportunities
• Independent transportation
• Recreation improves physical fitness, mental health and overall quality of life Our program works! Success rate of riders independently riding a two-wheel bicycle by the end of our iCan Bike program is approximately 80% and all riders progress and gain skills during the week.
Benefits for Volunteer Spotters (Fellow Students)
• Increase in communication and leadership skills
• Increase in self-esteem & self-confidence. The experience is empowering.
• Gain a true understanding of service learning
• Increased compassion & recognition of the different abilities of all people
• Gain knowledge of the power of words and how words can be hurtful even if unintentional
• Increase in physical activity
We are currently in the fundraising and planning stage for this event stage for this event. Dates will be announced shortly.
Cindy and I have already experienced this week long event and they successfully trained our son Stevie on a two wheeler in a weeks time! Awesome staff too!
You can see more testimonials from across the country and videos by visiting ican shine organization, who runs the ican bike program at: